General Historic Overview
Spencer Baptist Church began in the Spring of 1926, after a group of believers in Jesus Christ felt the need to start a new Baptist Church. A letter requesting a council to organize this new church was sent to members of several area churches.
On April 25, 1926 the council convened in the Spindale Company Store, and the new church began. The approximately 140 believers in Christ continued to meet in the Spindale Company Store for two years. During this time, the current property on Oak Street was secured from Sam E. Elmore.
Mr. Elmore had been a friend of a young man named Spencer Tanner who had been killed in an automobile accident. This was a special young man, and as an act of appreciation to Mr. Elmore, the members decided to call the church Spencer Baptist Church.
In May of 1928, Spencer Baptist Church moved into its first church building. The value of the building was $15,000. Today, in 2015, the physical plant of Spencer consists of several structures housing worship, education, music, recreation, youth, fellowship and administrative facilities. The value of the property is in excess of $5 million dollars.
Spencer has had many full time staff members in addition to the pastors. These individuals, by working together, have helped Spencer lead the way in sharing God's word in the community, as well as around the world.
Since 1926 Spencer Baptist Church has been a lighthouse in the community. Its ministries have served to help lead countless numbers to Jesus Christ.
M.M. Huntley April 25, 1926 - June 24, 1934
J.A. Brock April 10, 1935 - May 31, 1941
Joe Parson June 5, 1941 - December 25, 1944
C.C. Matheny February 15, 1945 - December 23, 1945
Felix R. Wagner February 15, 1946 - August 19, 1951
J.C. Canipe September 9, 1951 - September 16, 1951
W.F. Wodall January 6, 1952 - May 8, 1960
A.B. Bumgarner November 6, 1960 - June 22, 1980
Charles C. Penley October 1, 1981 - March 22, 1988
Roger H. Aycock September 3, 1989 - August 14, 1993
Billy E. Vaughn April 9, 1995 - April 27, 2014
Bruce R. Caldwell, September 1, 2015 - present